The 1st XV suffered their biggest defeat of the season so far losing 42-21 at Andover yesterday with angry Head Coach Barry Bridgman describing their performance as "atrocious" and "dreadful" writes Brian Seeney.

Taking a 0-8 lead after 17 minutes, Gos brought about their own undoing conceding a series of penalties but even by half-time when the home side had recovered and were leading 17-11, no one watching could have expected Gos to crumble in the way they did.

"It was not good and the second half was really poor. We gave up," said a frustrated and disappointed Bridgman.

"One or two players kept going such as Wes (Dugan) but I think a lot of the players gave up when the game got really difficult.

"I'm really angry at the way we played in the second half and really angry that we gave away so many penalties. We destroyed ourselves. From being 0-8 up we let them back into the game with a stupid, stupid penalty.

"It was a dreadful performance after we played really well in the first half. But the second half was appalling. It was atrocious with penalty after penalty after penalty after penalty by the same players who people regard as really good players."

Wes Dugan's first of his three tries came after 11 minutes when he ran through the Andover defence and within six minutes fly half Alex Duncombe had kicked the first of his two first half penalties.

But conceding a string of penalties lead first to 3-8 after 20 minutes then it was 10-8 before Duncombe's kick on 25 minutes regained the lead for Gos for the last time.

Andover WesTry salute WEB

At least Captain Wes Dugan has something to celebrate with one of his three tries yesterday. Photo: Chris Roberts. More pictures in the Photo Gallery now.

Andover received a yellow card for a tackle in the air on full back Will Baxandall in the 28th minute but within two minutes centre Gos centre Dom Holling was in the bin for a high tackle.

Then Andover hit Gos with three tries either side of half time and the game was gone.

In the 43rd minute they converted one for 17-11 at the break, then in the first seven second half minutes had the four try bonus point in the bag with two more tries and a conversion for 29-11.

On 50 minutes there was another Andover yellow card and then worse was to come when a deliberate trip on Wes Dugan as he quickly took a tap and go penalty brought a red card dismissal on 52 minutes for the culprit.

Gos had the numerical advantage and Wes Dugan's second try from another quick tap and go in the 64th minute narrowed the gap to 29-16.

But Andover converted their fifth try within three minutes and kicked two more penalties after 74 and 84 minutes for 42-16 before Wes Dugan's third try in the eighth minute of time added on - quick tap and go of course

Gos have slipped from sixth to eighth in the London 2 South West table after this defeat.

They are now two points off the bottom four rather than anywhere near the top four which was the target they set for this season and next up face league leaders Camberley at Gosport Park next Saturday...

An easyWeb site produced by Media 3