The 1st XV put an end to their three-match losing run by beating Farnham 23-19 at a windswept Gosport Park yesterday after a match that "got a bit sweaty at the end" for Head Coach Barry Bridgman and probably most of the watching Gos supporters writes Brian Seeney.

The win lifted Gos one place in the London 2 South West table to sixth (14 points) but with only three points separating them from the next four teams in the table, who include next up Andover also with 14 points, the importance of an away win at the Goodship Ground next Saturday cannot be underestimated.

Bridgman wasn't alone in his verdict as there were 10 added minutes after lengthy treatment to prop Nathan Titchener which was followed by two Farnham tries in the 68th and 71st minutes, the latter converted.

But Gos hung on having played with the strong wind behind them, building an 18-7 lead at the interval and scoring their third try through wing Kieran Darrington just a minute into the second half.

"It got a bit sweaty at the end," admitted Bridgman and few could disagree with him.

"I think we played the wrong tactics in the first half and should have banged it (the ball) down into the corners more. Yes they run the ball back at you but they have to run from their own 22.

"We expended an awful lot of energy in the forwards for no reason in the first half.

"In the second half we got off to a good start and got a good lead but it was always going to be tough because I didn't think the lead we had at half time was going to be enough.

"We were always going to be up against it in the second half.

"Our first half tackling was patchy - good in places but not so good in others - but we certainly improved on that in the second half."

Farnham DomTry WEB

Dom Holling sets Gos on the way to victory with the game's first try yesterday. Photo: Chris Roberts. More pictures in the Photo Gallery now.

Fly half Alex Duncombe kicked Gos to 3-0 after as many minutes and whilst flanker Tim Snowden was once again in the sin bin, Farnham's first converted try put them in front on 12 minutes at 3-7.

After several attempts to cross the line by individual forwards as Gos tested the Farnham defence, it was the leaner figure of centre Dom Holling who pulled it back to 8-7 on 17 minutes and within five minutes one of the big boys in Sean Shepherd scored the second Gos try.

Duncombe converted for 15-7 and then kicked his second penalty for 18-7 on 32 minutes in a half that somehow lasted 5½ minutes over time.

Farnham's two late tries in three minutes set up a tense last 19 minutes but Gos showed determination and tackled well to keep out the men from Farnham.

"We couldn't afford to lose that game because that would have seen us in a place we really didn't want to be," said Bridgman.

"It was a pleasing sort of day. We are back on track a little bit but in a way I'm disappointed that they got the bonus point.

"Our decision to have two flankers on the bench - Ethan Carpenter and Grant Hill - worked well and when they came on they both made significant contributions.

"Carl Dawson (from the bench) did very well on his debut at prop and exceeded expectations on the day because he was probably nervous making his debut. But he carried well and got over the gain line every time he carried. He has been a second team prop up till now and he did very well.

"Maybe we could have scored a couple more tries in the first half but they are not a bad side and I'm quite happy as they started the day two places above us and they are obviously coached very well."

An easyWeb site produced by Media 3