The G&F RFC Under 15s (The Ravens) travelled to Bognor RFC on the first day of the season for a full squad session to allow both clubs to prepare for the upcoming league games.

The Ravens looked ready for the season to start and warmed up in training vests with club badge tattoos proudly displayed on their biceps; a little tribute to coach Paul Wilkinson, his doesn't wash off!

It took 90 seconds for inside centre Harry Rabjohn to break the line and score the team's first try of the season.

Bognor were on the back foot and 90 seconds later Ben Wheeler crashed over. Then 90 seconds later Samuel Rushent scored the third.

The game settled down and Bognor began to get some possession but they couldn't stop Rabjohn scoring his second try of the day on the tenth minute

Bognor team didn't just crumble as many sides would have and held out from an onslaught from the Ravens for the rest of the 20 minute session without conceding a score as they began to contest rucks and mauls and mistakes crept into the Ravens game.

Aidan Jarvis kicked three of the four conversions to give Ravens a 26-0 lead at the end of the first session.

Ravens had brought a full squad of 30 players and made wholesale changes for the next 20 minute session and it took 16 minutes for either side to break the deadlock when Rushent crashed over for his second of the day.

However, Bognor knew that they were now starting to gain some procession and pushed Ravens back and then won the ball to drive to within two metres of the try line where an error resulted in a 5m scrum to Ravens.

Bognor drove the scrum back making it difficult for the scrum half to make a quick pass and the receiver who kicked the ball straight into the chest of the charging wing forward who somehow held on and touched down. Bognor converted to end that session 7-5 winners with the score now at 31-7 to Ravens.

Fired up from their success, Bognor then did to Ravens what had been done to them.

From the kick off they worked their possession and scored in 90 seconds. The Ravens made some more changes and began to dominate what was now a scrappy game and on four minutes Owen Harper sprinted in off the wing.

Twelve minutes later Centre Tom Ellis crashed through in a well worked move and touched down and then six minutes later Wheeler added another. Jarvis converted one from three to make the session score 17 - 5 to Ravens with the total score moving to 48-12.

The final session saw Ravens mix up their players who seemed to knit together well and they dominated the last session with tries from Harry Gille, Rabjohn, Jonnie Lewis and Connor Cox.

Bognor were showing their tiredness and the Ravens were showing that the summer fitness sessions were paying off. Connor missed his own conversion but Rabjohn added one from the other three to give a final session score of 22-0 to Ravens and a final score of 70-12 for the day.

There was lots to take away from the session for Head Coach Richard Daly who now has a real challenge to select the 22 to make the team list for the first League game on 17th September.

There are three training sessions to go to build a little more shape into the side, especially in defence and try to exploit the forward power and fitness that was displayed today.

There was no man of the match today but Connor Cox, Christian Osborne and Jonnie Lewis all put themselves on the line and showed they have stepped up their game.

Owen Harper scoring WEB

Above: Owen Harper scoring.

An easyWeb site produced by Media 3