In the last game of 2016, a track record of narrow defeats to Petersfield, who were cup finalists last season, needed to be put behind them if the Ravens were going to truly show how far they have come.

It took five minutes to put down the first marker when winger Aaron Spiteri went in at the corner for the first try after getting on to the end of an excellent tactical kick by fly half Aidan Jarvis.

The game was a real contest and Petersfield pressed hard but in the eighth minute the Ravens turned the ball over in their 22 and began a march up the field that took five phases, the ball passed through 16 pairs of hands for Spiteri on the wing to dive in for his second.

Petersfield came back four minutes later with a strong run from their No. 8 Jacob that broke tackles to touch down in the corner.

Ravens set about building up to another try and seven minutes later Euan Archbold crashed over and this time Harry Rabjohn converted to give the Ravens a 17-5 half time lead.

Jonnie Lewis, Prop, and Jarvis had both put in a big first half performance with some burst of speed from backs Tom Ellis and Tom Archer to get the Ravens going forward.

After the break,the Ravens seemed to go off the boil and Petersfield came into the game in a powerful display of their determination.

But Ravens held them and then Joe Wilkinson battled his way over the line, again in the corner, for their fourth try of the game.

Ben Wheeler and Ed Bell continued to crash it up but Petersfield contained the threat.

Support play and offloading was needed to maintain possession and the team delivered.

However, when Petersfield took a tap penalty on the attacking 22m, Ravens appeared asleep and No.8 Jacob ran in untouched to touch down in the corner.
Ravens responded to the coaches' calls and got back into the game but it was now well balanced as both sides battled it out for supremacy.

Scrum Half George Smith made a couple of telling breaks and Ravens had the last word when William Hosell drove over and Rabjohn converted to close out the game 29-10.

Archbold was nominated Man of the Match by the opposition.

The Ravens now have a couple of weeks off and then are back into training as they build towards their Hampshire Cup Quarter Final against Tadley after the Ravens knocked out Petersfield in the last round on 15th January at Gosport Park.

Man of the Match - Euan Archbold


An easyWeb site produced by Media 3